Monday, April 9, 2007

Religion and God

Religion and God.

I think they are two different things.

I’m sick of organized religion. I don’t fit in. Intellectually and spiritually I feel unfulfilled so I’m turning inwards. I’m learning to separate what is man made and what is God made. Things you can’t eat, drink, or do are man made. Things you feel like tranquility and love, faith and acceptance, humility and truth that comes from God. I’ve spent my life using religion as a cover, fearing it and in doing so I never let myself be free. Guilt and a deep seated mistrust swept my heart. Now I want to be free. Free to love, free to live as I see fit with my conscience. I’m not afraid to question and I love Allah at the same time. I’m proud of my muslim heritage with its rich art, history, and culture. But I think change needs to come. Integration, assimilation with the west will happen as it always has. I’m not afraid of it anymore. I’m willing to accept my western identity as well.

The truth is I have never lived like a true muslim. I choose not to. God gave me the freedom. I don’t eat pork because it disgusts me; not because the Quran says not to. I don’t drink because I don’t like being drunk; not because the Quran says not to. I think sex is a beautiful expression in a committed relationship between two consenting and truthful adults.

I think hell is for those who don’t live honestly and truthfully by basic moral values that all religions endorse. The rest is up to God and Him alone.

1 comment:

Banno said...

Miha, Wish you all the courage in your inward journey. Organized religion is always an easy way out, answers given to you even before you can question.