Monday, December 18, 2006

Well, a little more about me :) Currently stuck in a teaching job in the middle of no where. Actually it is the middle of somewhere, a typical poor city with loads of Hispanics. Don't know anyone here and sometimes the boredom of a single life can be a real killer! Most of my days are spent slaving away at work with "precious" 21 little third graders. Each with his or her own personality and needs.

I am mom/dad, therapist, nurse, entertainer, mediator, counselor, judge, jury and refferree. I teach. I am a secretary, phone operator, coordinator, rescuer, hair dresser, artist, and author. I teach. I am the one you call when your shoe lace is tangled, when your baby brother/sister/cat/dog/hamster chewed up your homework; I am the one you call when someone's head is stuck between a railing or when they are simply stuck underneath a desk. I am the bomb-squad detector and terrorist screener. I am a teacher. I sanitize your hands, find missing gloves, and tell Wohl to leave you alone for the umpteenth time. I am the spell checker, the help icon, and detective of missing lunch money. I am a teacher. I am the manager of messy desks and the lawyer drawing up contracts (I, Wohl, promise to keep my desk clean in exchange for chocolate!). I am the shop keeper who sells coupons "No Homework", "Teacher's Assistant", "Help the Librarain" simply so you will behave! I am the one who wipes tears, shakes dirty hands, tapes ripped paper, finds missing erasers, and tells you "What an awesome job!" even when you wrote two miserable lines all day. I am a teacher :)

1 comment:

Banno said...

It must be tough, what you do. Though all I know about teachers in the US, is from Hollywood movies, and they always come out winners in the end!

The trouble here is that the textbooks don't really reflect the realities they should, but perpetuate the ones they shouldn't.