Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Ram and Sita!

Ok, I'm not much of an Indian mythology bluff but I love reading it! Today we read a book on Divaali (the author's name escpaes me). Just beautiful :) I read it with all the pronounciations (Americans love Hindi names) and the dramatic highs and lows. The kids were glued! An "awe, thats so sweet" went through the room when Rama married Sita and horrific gasp could be heard when Ravana kidnapped Sita! The kids were furious. They really empathized with Rama and Lakshaman. Hanuman was much loved. In the end, the poetic language of the books really delighted everyone. They finally understood what Divaali stood for. Tomorrow we're reading about Eid, then Hannukkah and Christmas on the last day before Christmas holiday.

The best response came from my little Cleaver "Hey, I noticed something. In all the holidays, like christmas, everyone has family and love!" I just added "All you need is family, friends, love, and lots of food for any holiday" Makes me wonder what these kids would say about all the religious and cultural strife in the world around them. Ignorance is bliss.

Now, if my mouth would just turn normal...got 5 fillings done in an hour...totally numb...

1 comment:

Banno said...

Have a lovely holiday, Christmas, New Year, filled with family, food, friends and love.